Thursday, April 30, 2015

Mullican set to continue soccer career in college

Edwardsville High School’s Andrew Mullican is proud to be attending the University of Illinois-Springfield campus on a scholarship to play soccer in the fall.

He said he was looking for a college soccer program where he would fit and he also is intrigued about getting a degree from the University of Illinois. He said he plans to major in business.

Since grade school, finding a college scholarship was a goal for Mullican, a midfielder. “It was a goal since eighth grade,” he said. “My mom put a lot of money in private lessons and this is a way to pay it back. This is a big deal to me.”

“I am sure the winning tradition we have here at EHS will help me. We have done some special things in soccer at EHS.”

The EHS soccer player thanked his varsity coach Mark Heiderscheid for his constant support over the years. Heiderscheid expressed extreme pride in Mullican earning his college scholarship. “You play the game for love of the game but when you have a player like Andrew that you respect, it is very exciting to see him get a scholarship,” the coach said. “You sort of feel like a parent when they are successful and move on to college.”

This story appeared online on Riverbender.com on April 29, 2015.

Read the entire article here.