Friday, March 4, 2016

UIS women's basketball players go right back to work

Women’s basketball season at the University of Illinois Springfield ended just a week ago, and you’d expect players to stay as far away from The Recreation and Athletic Center as possible for a couple weeks.

That hasn’t happened.

“When I’ve come in the morning or walked downstairs to do something, I’ve seen our players in the gym and I’ve seen them in the weight room,” UIS coach Mark Kost said. “I came in one day at 7:45 in the morning and two players were in the gym.”

That has Kost feeling encouraged following an 8-18 record in his first season. UIS finished with more wins than the previous three seasons, but had a 2-16 Great Lakes Valley Conference record and lost its last six league contests.

“We had eight games where we had a chance to win it with five minutes to go in the fourth quarter and I think we won one,” Kost said. “We have to figure out how to close out those games. If you get eight of those games, you should win five of them. We won one. Think of how good of a year we would have had if we won four more games.”

The story was reported by The State Journal-Register on March 4, 2016.

Read the story online.