Thursday, July 1, 2010

Michael Hogan: Dawn of a new chapter in U of I history

The following is a portion of a letter to the editor of The State Journal-Register. It was submitted by new University of Illinois President Michael Hogan and published in a July 1, 2010, edition.

"Growing up in Waterloo, Iowa, the son and grandson of meatpackers, it never crossed my mind that one day I could become president of one of the great public universities in the world - the University of Illinois.

But my horizons widened once I began to hitch a ride to the state college up the road and became the first member of my family on either side to earn a college degree. And now, that long and winding road has brought me to this day, my first as president of the University of Illinois.

As a Midwesterner, an educator and university leader, I couldn't be more proud, or more humbled, by having the opportunity before me. I am dedicated to leading a team of exceptional faculty, staff, students and alumni who will be satisfied with nothing short of advancing the University of Illinois' 143-year tradition of excellence and access."

Download a PDF of the letter