Monday, May 13, 2013

Pomp and circumstance for UIS graduates

When they started this journey, it looked so distant, but the future starts now for more than 1,000 graduates from the University of Illinois Springfield. 1,362 graduates, to be exact--who each have a story.

“It's always my dream to come and do my master's in United States and I’m so excited because it's a big day,” computer science major Pavan Vooka said.

Vooka came to Springfield from India. To get here, he packed his ambition, but left family and friends behind. Saturday, he leaves with a tight group of buddies, a master's degree in computer science and a smile.

“I came here so long, far from my parents and struggled a lot to get this and I'm so happy finally I'm here," Vooka said.

So is Chris Kullstroem, who earned her master's in philosophy online while living in Connecticut. She had never stepped foot in Illinois but she just had to for graduation.

“It's a day I'll never forget," Kullstroem said. It's just been an experience I'll never forget. The people are so great. Getting to meet them for the first time in person. It's incredible."

The story aired on WICS-TV 20 on May 11, 2013.

Watch the story online