Monday, June 11, 2012

UIS professor stars in summer production of Steel Magnolias

Robert Harling's classic play Steel Magnolias will open the McLeod Summer Playhouse in Carbondale June 14, 16, and 22 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee performance June 24 at 2 p.m.

Steel Magnolias is a fan favorite and follows a group of Louisiana women who often meet each other at Truvy's Beauty Shop.

“This is the first time that I've actually played a role for a second time,” Missy Thibodeaux-Thompson, a professor of theater at the University of Illinois Springfield, who is portraying Truvy in this summer's production, told "Nightlife". “I played Truvy two years ago at the Shawnee Summer Theater in Bloomfield, Indiana, which was very, very fun. I absolutely love this role-- I love the show. [Truvy] is the glue that holds the rest of the women together because her beauty shop is the home away from home. It's the women cave. I love her-- ever since I first started working on the show a couple of year ago. She has all these wonderful, fun zingers, great lines. She has wonderful compassion about her, and she is really fun to play.”

Thibodeaux-Thompson was featured in a June 2012 article in the Carbondale "Nightlife" Entertainment Guide.

Read the article online