Thursday, March 12, 2015

Education Officials Talk Tuition Waiver Plan

State education officials are now speaking out against Gov. Bruce Rauner's plan to eliminate Illinois' 50-percent tuition waiver for the children of university employees.

On Tuesday, one teacher called Gov. Rauner's plan, "a callout attack on university employees and their children."

The tuition waiver is available to any employee of a public university with at least seven years experience.

Teresa Szabo, an Associate Director in the Office of Development at UIS, has three daughters: one college graduate, one still in college, and one preparing for college. Szabo said the tuition waiver was a perk promised to her when she started working at UIS in 2000.

"I could be working in the private sector probably making a lot more money than I am now, but this is one of the perks that we were hired for," Szabo said. "That is always one of the factors I have to look at when looking at advancing my career because it is such a valuable thing to have."

Szabo said eliminating the waiver could mean her daughter looks out of state for the most-affordable college option. For now, the tuition waiver proposal is still just that -- a proposal.

This story appeared on Fox 55 on March 11, 2015.

Watch the story here.