Thursday, May 14, 2020

Tennis: UIS promotes Quevedo as next tennis coach

The University of Illinois Springfield promoted former tennis assistant coach and recent interim head coach Raul Quevedo to that program’s head coach, the university announced on Wednesday.

As an interim coach, Quevado’s men’s team was 5-2 before the COVID-19 pandemic canceled the season while the women’s team was 3-3 before it too was abruptly halted.

He has been an assistant since the 2017 season. In the 2018-19 season, both the men and women teams were ranked in the top-50 among NCAA Division II teams.

“I am very excited and grateful for this opportunity,” Quevedo said in a press release. “I want to thank (UIS athletic director) Peyton Deterding and the search committee for trusting in me to lead this team to success. I look forward to taking these teams to new highs and contributing to the overall success of the athletic department. UIS is a great place to study, compete, and be part of the community. I can’t wait to give student-athletes from all over the world the chance to experience what it means to be a Prairie Star.”

This story appeared in The State Journal-Register on May 13, 2020.

Read the entire article online.