Friday, April 18, 2014

UIS, Beck plan camp for diabetic kids

University of Illinois Springfield senior Mallory Beck is a two-sport athlete who shows others living with diabetes what is possible. Now she’s taking that a step further.

Beck is the driving force behind the UIS Student-Athlete Advisory Committee’s Sports with Diabetes Day May 3 from 8:30 a.m.-noon at The Recreation and Athletic Center.

The event is for campers ages 6-16 who have diabetes. They will learn sports skills and ways to live healthy and active lifestyles. It costs $10 with the proceeds going to the American Diabetes Association.

Beck, 22, will draw upon personal experience. She was diagnosed with Type 1 juvenile diabetes in kindergarten. She is vice president of the SAAC and has managed her diabetes since fourth grade by wearing an insulin pump.

“I’ve experienced a lot through my sports career,” said Beck, who removes the pump when participating in sports.

“I learned how to manage my diabetes while participating in sports. Anything motivational I could have gone to would have been awesome. That’s where I got the idea.”

The story was reported by The State Journal-Register on April 17, 2014.

Read the story online