Monday, February 22, 2016

Ramirez provides leadership for UIS women's golf team

University of Illinois Springfield golfer Becca Ramirez is doing what seniors are supposed to do: She has the best scoring average on the team.

The Springfield High School graduate compiled a team-best average of 80 during the fall season. She also led the Prairie Stars with four top-10 finishes. She was runner-up at the Quincy University Fall Classic.

“I relaxed a lot more this fall,” Ramirez said. “I’m kind of hard on myself in general, but I felt a lot more confident.”

UIS opens its spring season Sunday in the Start 2 Finish Classic in Lake Wales, Florida.

Ramirez had a scoring average of 82.91, No. 2 on the team, as a junior. She noticed an improvement in her approach shots to the green, which was key to shaving strokes last fall.

“I have more confidence in my iron game,” Ramirez said. “My goal for the spring is to stay under 80.”

Her lowest round last fall was 78. Ramirez shot a career-low 73 at UIS her freshman year. She shot a 75 in the first round of the Great Lakes Valley Conference Championship in 2015.

Ramirez was featured by The State Journal-Register on February 20, 2016.

Read the story online.