Tuesday, August 9, 2016

UIS' Hannam plays role in Sliders' rise

Trey Hannam says he’s a lot stronger and a lot smarter now than he was a couple of years ago. The baseball team he plays for can say the same thing.

Hannam, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound outfielder from Kewanee, hasn’t produced the same eye-popping numbers with the Springfield Sliders this summer that he did last spring for the University of Illinois Springfield.

Still, he’s helped solidify the middle of the lineup as Springfield’s Prospect League squad closes in on its first playoff berth since 2010. The Sliders (37-20 overall) lead the second-half standings in the West Division with a 20-7 record, two games ahead of DuPage (33-23, 17-8), after Springfield beat Hannibal 15-0 Thursday night at Robin Roberts Stadium.

Hannam joined the Sliders after a rip-roaring junior season at UIS. In the spring, Hannam led the Prairie Stars in home runs (12), RBIs (44) and slugging percentage (.618). A lot of teams in a lot of leagues would have been happy to have him, but he picked the Sliders.

“I wanted to stay in town,” Hannam said. “This is close to where I grew up and my family is able to come to some of the games. I wanted to be close to where I’m going to college, plus, this is a really good league, so I wanted to stay here.”

Hannam was featured by The State Journal-Register on August 5, 2016.

Read the story online.