Tuesday, November 1, 2011

UIS women's basketball team searches for winning formula

The word chemistry is used frequently by University of Illinois Springfield women’s basketball coach Marne Fauser when discussing this season’s group of players.

“Chemistry is very important to me and I think that’s what we have,’’ Fauser said. “I think the returners had good chemistry. Our newcomers have some great people to look up to, so I’m excited about their chemistry as well.’’

The foundation the Stars laid last season en route to an 8-18 overall record and a 3-15 Great Lakes Valley Conference mark remains. Five of their top six players are back from a team that won three of the last five games.

UIS’ only notable loss is Paulina Pogorzelski, the sole key senior on last season’s roster. She led the team in rebounding at 7 per game and averaged 9.9 points.

Fauser has paired the five returning players with seven newcomers. But building chemistry didn’t begin in the preseason. It started in the offseason with senior guard Cristina Nevins organizing a group of seven players for a summer league at Gold’s Gym.

The team was featured in an November 1, 2011, article in The State Journal-Register.

Read the article online