Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rockford Christian's Obee signs with Illinois-Springfield

Rockford Christian coach Kevin Obee never imagined that he would have the opportunity to coach his son, Kynan, on the high school level.

That all changed four years ago when Kevin took over the boys soccer program.

On Wednesday, before a gathering of about 35 people in the school’s library, Kevin Obee watched with pride as Kynan signed a letter-of-intent to play soccer at the University of Illinois-Springfield.

“It’s been a privilege for me as a coach to have him all four years and as a father, I am proud of his accomplishments,” said Kevin Obee, who told the audience a couple of stories about his son’s progression from playing soccer as a 5-year-old to high school.

The 5-foot-8 senior midfielder made his decision after visiting UIS three weeks ago and is excited about the opportunity.

“When I visited, I enjoyed my experience with the guys and I liked the coach,” said Kynan Obee, who was second in the area in scoring with 22 goals and 16 assists as a senior. “I know it will be more intense and very physical because I will be going up against faster guys.”

UIS’s men soccer team, which included seven freshmen, finished with a record of 1-14-1 last year.

Obee, a four-year all-conference player, was a member of the 2010 Illinois Olympic Development Program state team.

He holds the school’s scoring record of 34 goals in a season and finished with 72 goals and 48 assists for his career. As a senior captain, he was a first-team selection for All-State and All-Midwest.

Obee, who carries a 3.24 grade-point average, plans to major in business.

The signing was featured in a March 10, 2011, article in the Rockford Register Star.

Download a PDF of the article